Monday, February 29, 2016

Move "The Bell Jar" to the "Read" Pile


     My wife was amazed that I had not already ready Sylvia Plath's The Bell Jar. Certainly I was aware of it, and knew that it was highly-respected, but until I had a chance to read it on my Kindle for a discount, I never read it.

     Some readers will know that my early literary training was as a German major. Earlier I read thing sin English that interested me, and years later, preparing to teach English, I read what I had to read.

     What impressed me about The Bell Jar is Plath' ability to tell a story in first-person narrative. As she does so, She juggles the chronology of events but never loses her reader. I regret that she was not able to develop more as a writer, whether of prose or of poetry, and leave behind more works
to savor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Epiphanies" from Alien Buddha Press- Available on Amazon- Read a story here

https://alienbuddhapress.wordpress.com/author/alienbuddhapress/       I am so thrilled about this short story collection,, my first one. Ali...