Tuesday, January 26, 2016

Belated Happy Birthday, Rabbie Burns!

If I were a Scot I would be guilty of a grievous sin, wishing Burns a belated birthday. Since I am not like the person in the commercial who does genetic testing and finds out that he is Scottish, and not German as he thought, I suppose it's all right.

     My father brought back a Robert Burns cigar from a trip we took to Canada. A few years later I found it, and decided to smoke it in the bathroom after school one day. Since it was stale, it was not very good. I opened the window to remove some of the smoke; March in Pennsylvania is still cool.My mother smelled something funny and before she could detect residual cigar smoke, I made some smart-alecky remark about her need to clean better. The ruse worked. She seized on that to give me a piece of her mind, and suspicions of a cigar were erased.

     Burns was a people's poet, and cultivated his language and times. Here is Karen Matheson's version of "My Love is Like a Red, Red Rose" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJGaRb3WCT4

Pour a glass of your favorite libation and listen!
Image result for robert burns

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stop the Presses! Sadly....

        A sad week in our household. For the first time in over forty years, my wife and I do not have a newspaper to hold in our hands. She...