Monday, August 10, 2015

The Last 48 Hours.Until School Begins

     I thought I had better add to the title since I did not want people to assume the worst. Now I enjoy what and where I teach (both locations). But this has been a fantastic summer, as I basked in the glow of Places and Times, gave some readings, participated in a workshop, relax, work out, spent five Sundays in a fantastic parish, had lunch with my wife, family, and friends, enoyed a great vacation with my wife, wrote, followed the Pittsburgh Pirates, and watched Netflix.

     Teachers normally do not have the summer free, contrary to popular misconception. Fortunately I am at the point where I do not need to take classes for re-certification. I did spend two days doing school-related activities, so I can be off on two in-service days during the school year. Additionally,  also had Annual Training for over two decades.

     Ah, so what to do? I need to review an advance copy of a friend's book of poetry, hope to start reading another friend's draft of a book of poetry. Hopefully I can go to Ft. Jackson for some shopping, hit the gym, meet a poet friend, take care of some loose ends, and then report on Wednesday for a week or meetings and working in the classroom.

     For my Northern friends, school down here starts well before Labor Day, which means that we are done early in June.

     I actually accomplished mot of what I intended to. I read what Johannes Bobrowski I could access on the web, read about Rilke and some of the poems (more to do), read about Henry Clay, the '"new" Harper Lee, lots of other things.

     All in all, it was a great summer, but what has a beginning also has an end. I look forward to teaching, selling books at two venues, give more readings, and whatever comes my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stop the Presses! Sadly....

        A sad week in our household. For the first time in over forty years, my wife and I do not have a newspaper to hold in our hands. She...