Tuesday, August 25, 2015

40th Anniversary of Born to Run


     I have written about this previously, and I know some readers reach back rather far into my posts (for which I thank them very much). However, the 40th anniversary of Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band's "Born to Run" LP deserves a post. This is the album that the US Senate refused to commemorate ten years ago.

     Four decades ago I had not quite unpacked everything in the place I had moved to in Costa Mesa, CA. That was in the middle of Orange County. I found decent reception to an LA FM station, sadly I forget which one. They said they had a song from a new band that came from New Jersey. Full of my Pennsylvania pride and regionalism, I said to myself something like "I can't wait to hear it." Half-way through the title track, which is what the single was, I did not want it to stop. As soon as possible, I bought the album at a record store I came to frequent on payday from UC-Irvine.

     Without Springsteen I shudder to think of what music would have been like. The groups and artists I listened to in the 1960's were dead, withdrawn, or played out for the most part. Bruce revivified the scene, and gloried in Rock and Roll and life. Because of him, I pushed my 72 Duster a little faster on the freeways.

     The Rolling Stone interview with Bruce, where he talks about the band's situation at the time: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/bruce-springsteen-on-making-born-to-run-we-went-to-extremes-20150825?page=5

    The title track:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3t9SfrfDZM

    Thanks, Bruce and the E Street Band!

     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stop the Presses! Sadly....

        A sad week in our household. For the first time in over forty years, my wife and I do not have a newspaper to hold in our hands. She...