Saturday, January 3, 2015

Happy Birthday, Stephen Stills!

     Stephen Arthur Stills was born 3 January 1945, in Dallas, Texas. He and I shared three things in common. First, his middle name is my first name. Secondly, in high school I developed impressive sideburns. Finally, we both played the guitar. Obviously he is still playing it, and I long ago gave up (there is a poem of mine about that). The sideburns are also gone.
     We saw still, along with Crosby and Nash, in an outdoor, acoustic concert in Albuquerque in 1991. I include a clip of him from Big Sur in 1969, which shows that same artistry and wonder at an earlier phase. An extremely gifted musician, adept in many genres, Stills can always slow it down and set poetry into exquisite music.
     Of course he was in Buffalo Springfield, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, Manassas, and solo work. Not many people know that he auditioned for the Monkees. When contractual obligations prevented him from joining the ban, he suggested the producers take his friend, Peter Tork.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=db3K8m9NzpA

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Epiphanies" from Alien Buddha Press- Available on Amazon- Read a story here

https://alienbuddhapress.wordpress.com/author/alienbuddhapress/       I am so thrilled about this short story collection,, my first one. Ali...