Thursday, June 23, 2016

The Poetry Syllabus

   Two months from now I will be teaching for the first time a poetry class as a local technical college. Last night I mapped out the syllabus.

    What is a technical college, you might well ask. It is the southern equivalent of the junior or community colleges found elsewhere in the United States. These are two-year colleges, usually non-residential. Students either earn a certificate or associates degree to enter a career or transfer to a four-year college or university. Tuition is less than at a four-year school, and many states, South Carolina being one of them, offers scholarships to students who have a certain Grade Point Average.

   Combing through the Norton Poetry Anthology, 5th edition, is daunting. I have six units, and eithin five of them I require certain poems to be read. I encourage others to be read. I felt like I was choosing between my children as I selected some and left others out.

   The last unit will feature poetry communities from Google+ as well as some poems by friends who have published, and yes, one or two of my own.

   Incidentally, I am not a full-time instructor at this institutiuon. I am an adjunct; I always make that clear. Over the years I have taught about 30 classes as an adjunct in South Carolina and Pennsylvania, in English, History, German, and Religion. I have a day job
teaching German and English at a regional high school.

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Epiphanies" from Alien Buddha Press- Available on Amazon- Read a story here

https://alienbuddhapress.wordpress.com/author/alienbuddhapress/       I am so thrilled about this short story collection,, my first one. Ali...