Wednesday, June 1, 2016

Oldest writing in London discovered!


      And it was actually from Londinium, so the writing is in Latin!

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2016/jun/01/tablets-unearthed-city-glimpse-roman-london-bloomberg

     Right away I shared it with my brother, whose wife is a renowned classicist, specializing in things Etruscan, my Latin colleague at school, and another Latin-teaching friend at another school whose birthday it happened to be. She used it for review with her class.

     Like everyone else in my family, I took two years of Latin. Somewhere around the subjunctive or another phase of the Gallic Wars, I decided to take German the next tear, so I put on the breaks. Truthfully, or should I say, verily, I would have made a good classicist; people have told me that. But four decades ago it was not a going thing, and I started my study of German, and am now trying to let others experience it.

     But that's another post, and I find it fascinating that so much of Roman Britain is still  being found. Doubtless Boris Johnson and Nigel Farage are wielding shovels to find some ext that translated:  LEAVE THE EMPIRE!

    To quote Winne-the-Pooh, "Oh, bother!"

    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stop the Presses! Sadly....

        A sad week in our household. For the first time in over forty years, my wife and I do not have a newspaper to hold in our hands. She...