Friday, June 10, 2016

Poetry by Muhammad Ali

    This story interested me for several reasons. First, I lived near Ali's Deer Lake training camp in Pennsylvania for a time. Secondly, poetry is involved. Finally, Ali was such a complex and iconic figure that one is compelled to be interested in all aspects of his lfie. Full disclosure: I lived a few miles from Joe Frazier, who attended the wedding of some of my friends. But I can be objective, and no poetyr by Smokin' Joe has been found. He did have a brief career as a singer.

     The poetry has no bluster, and shows the ability to reflect It is indeed early poetry, and not even the Greats' early work is their best (with perhaps some few exceptions). Compared to what is banded about theses days as GREAT POETRY, Ali's holds its own.

     Perhaps some more poetry will surface. Ali did not choose to keep writing, as far as we know. the fact that a heavyweight  champion, or any athlete, writes prose or poetry is significant and deserves attention.

     After all, how many poets would want to contend in the ring? Not I.

http://www.thestate.com/sports/other-sports/article82804002.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Epiphanies" from Alien Buddha Press- Available on Amazon- Read a story here

https://alienbuddhapress.wordpress.com/author/alienbuddhapress/       I am so thrilled about this short story collection,, my first one. Ali...