Saturday, June 25, 2016

As Promised, More Musings on Brexit

     Before I practice some poems for Monday's reading in Charleston, South Carolina (named after Charles II in 1663, incidentally), I will express some more thoughts on Brexit and related matters. At my left hand (I am a southpaw) is a gin and tonic without ice. I normally do not like mixed drinks, but summers are humid here.    If southpaw confused you, it is a baseball term. https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#safe=active&q=southpaw+definition+origin

     My ancestry is not British/Irish by any means. I am Hungarian-German-Belgian (Walloon). I am second generation American; three of my four grandparents were born in Europe. The fourth was conceived there.  My wife is Scots-English-Scots/Irish-Dutch). Truth be told, my parents where Anglophobes, especially my mother. She thought the Beatles' royalties earned in the US should stay here. In her opinion, "If it weren't for America, they would be goose-stepping and singing 'Ja ja ja'?

    What did my elder brother and I do? We rebelled of course, playing "Twist and Shout loudly on the Hi-Fi, adopting Carnaby Street attire as best we could in the environs of Philadelphia, and falling love with Emma Peel.

    In 1979 I had a Britrail Pass and toured around. My brother and his wife were in Manchester, and I used their place to leave a bag and stay as I gadded about. I regret not seeing the Highlands or Wales, but I had fun. Four years later my wife and I honeymooned in England. nothing like trying to get a room on London during Wimbledon or  being at Stonehenge the day after the solstice!

   During my deployment to Germany in 2004-2005, some of us were going to London, but plans fell through. some wanted to drive; I suggested the "Zug und Glug" (Train and Plane) from Frankfurt. I did not have much time for leave, so I did other things.

   I prefer hot tea, and proper tea, in the mornings. German friends said I had a British sens eof politeness. (There are many who would laugh at that. People from Pennsylvania are not held up as paragons of politeness for some reason). I am an Anglophile. Arthur William Turfa?  Well it should be Wilhelm, but you get the idea.

     Britain is part of Europe.People would ask me there if I planned to go to Europe on my trip. I wanted to say, "Where the hell to you think we are now,Stanley?" But I was polite. I am of an age that would suggest that I would have voted "leave". But I would have voted to "remain". I know there are problems. We are trying to keep Trump out of the White House, for goodness' sake! But how can we deny the youth a chance to work in the EU easily. I would have loved to work in West Germany. Most jobs were for English teachers, and they preferred the Queen's English.

    These days I can tell my German students that they have the chance to work for a multi-national corporation in Germany. an my UK counterparts say the same now? I have always believed in inclusion, larger groups, and have found my niche in them, even though I often follow the beat of anoth
er drummer, to reference Thoreau.  Leaving the EU does not help.

    UK friends, I am sorry. But things are never as bad as they seem. Stiff upper lip and all that, wot?

     By the way, as I write this I am listening to the Kin;s "We Are the Village Green Preservation Society" full album. How did Ray Davies vote?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Stop the Presses! Sadly....

        A sad week in our household. For the first time in over forty years, my wife and I do not have a newspaper to hold in our hands. She...