Monday, June 6, 2016

Before "Saving Private Ryan"....

     .....there was "The Longest Day", based on the Cornelius Ryan book. Both films are excellent and important. Spielberg's focuses in on a particular mission, while the Annikin/Marton film has a far wider sweep.

     When I first saw the latter movie, I was fascinated by the subtitles as much as the action. Some people are put off by subtitles, or even the use of foreign languages in films. Perhaps I was more attuned to languages, which is why I became a linguist. Also, languages featur prominently in my second poetry manuscript, tentatively entitled Accents.

     More importantly, had D-Day failed,
this world would have been much worse off. I am thankful for the men and women who fought, suppported, or otherwise did their best for victory, especially for those who died in the process.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056197/

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Epiphanies" from Alien Buddha Press- Available on Amazon- Read a story here

https://alienbuddhapress.wordpress.com/author/alienbuddhapress/       I am so thrilled about this short story collection,, my first one. Ali...