Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Fantastic Time in Charleston- Pix Later

    My wife and I had a wonderful mini-vacation n Charleston, South Carolina; a tour of the city, some bumming around, and a return reading at Jim Lundy's Monday Night Poetry and Music.  I saw some friends, made new ones, and my wife found someone there who was fron t
he same county s she was in Mississippi. I found some people who lived in Hungary for a few years. Yohe!

    I also dropped off a copy of Places and Times at a bookstore, and will await whatever happens.
There will be some pictures when my camera powers up. But for now let me include a poem I read from the book.

At times I want to ride
At times I want to ride a chestnut horse
over wide, undulating, endless steppes,
with hooves pounding out a staccato beat,
our heads lowered to enhance speed,
pointing toward the elusive white stag
ever within our sight, ever out of reach,
leading to verdant valley far away.

Years ago I only kept the gas tank half-full
in my ’72 Duster slant 6.
Great was the temptation to drive beyond
the mountains hazy with residual smog,
looming as I dropped from the 55
on slender concrete ribbon down to the
San Diego Freeway towards Irvine.
The time had not come for me to leave.

Now my life no longer fits into a car.
The white stag has blended into the mists
and I am content to be where I am.
Dismounting, I set the horse to pasture
and sit sheltered by the tall pine trees.


Arthur Turfa, Places and Times ©2015

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stop the Presses! Sadly....

        A sad week in our household. For the first time in over forty years, my wife and I do not have a newspaper to hold in our hands. She...