Monday, October 3, 2022

Ralph Vaughan Williams 150th Anniversary of Birth is this Mlonth!


     I cannot remember exactly when I first hear Ralph Vaughan Williams' music. It might have been in a junior high music class. Or might have been during my time as Fine Arts Director at the old WDFM, Penn State university radio station (now WPSU).

     Whenever it was, I quickly fell in love with it. There is something about symphonic string music that grabs me. Not that I am musical; I was Fine Arts Director because I could run a staff, and pronounce the names of the composter/musicians.

     During my high school teaching career, I would play "brain music" while students read and completed some assignments. When I played "The Lark Ascending" I explained the significance of the lark in literature and pointed out of the violin was used to illustrate the rising of the lark.

     Recently on a flight to Hawaii, I spoke to my seatmate about 'brain music". He was doing the same for his son as he did his homework.

     When I write I often use music like Williams' as a background. Lyrics get in the ay these days, unlike earlier. I find such music soothes me and helps me write.

     The link below has all sorts of things about the composer. Enjoy!



https://rvwsociety.com/rvw150/ 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stop the Presses! Sadly....

        A sad week in our household. For the first time in over forty years, my wife and I do not have a newspaper to hold in our hands. She...