Saturday, November 7, 2015

Saturday Doings


     Today was not an ordinary Saturday: there was no trip to the gym, the errand left over, or anything like that. I wrote a homily for a parish that called me Thursday morning after their previsouly-laid plans fell through, and then I readied myself for a book signing locally.

     There was one book that I signed for someone who pre-ordered it, and that was the only one I signed. Someone who worked at the bookstore said he would buy it when he got paid (some are on consignment, so there is no problem).. Another person came close, but offered to take my card with her to show some other people. the other author I had met in another setting and I planted the seed for a reading later on out her way.  Otherwise there was not much foot traffic, but it was only two hours.

     So I arranged to swap books for reviews on Goodreads, followed my son's text about what would be the Penn State loss, Then I watched some football on TV while my wife went out to do some things. I read some of Po-Chu-I that a poet friend suggested:  http://www.poemhunter.com/po-chu-i/
He and others influenced Ezra Pound and other Imagists. Perhaps I will try to write in that style for a bit. Perhaps i will share some of the poems if I like them.

    Cooked dinner for my wife and me, and now am catching up on several things and relaxing. Certainly I wished I had signed more books, but all in all, it was not a bad day.

    And it's Joni Mitchell's 72 birthday today. when I was in high school there were three dominant female singers in the music I liked: Mitchell, Judy Collins, and Joan Baez. To my thinking, and I liked all of them, Joni was the best song-writer.

    Her debut album from 1968, "Song to a Seagull" is generally considered her best, as far as those thoughts go. David Crosby produced it, and Stephen Still plays bass on a track. How could I not like an album dedicated to a high school English teacher?

    Speaking of that, a few years ago a student came into the room one day when we stored the chrome books in carts. I had the album on and she stopped to ask me about the album. Maybe I even sent her the link.  Dr. Turfa, sharer of cool music from way back when....that's me!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Stop the Presses! Sadly....

        A sad week in our household. For the first time in over forty years, my wife and I do not have a newspaper to hold in our hands. She...