Friday, September 16, 2022

Finished Thomas Mann's "Doktor Faustus"

     This book was too long to be read in a seminar back when I was a German graduate student, but it was referenced quite often. During my short time at UC Berkeley, I took a class on Mann taught by his son, Michael, whose recommendation helped me switch to UC Irvine, where I obtained a teaching assistantship.

     Although Mann and his family did not have to leave Nazi Germany, they went anyway and spent time in Los Angeles anyway. After the war, Mann moved to Switzerland, not Germany. Doktor Faustus is his next-to-last novel and blends the Faust myths, Goethe's classic, and the Nazi period. 

     Adrian Leverkühn is the protagonist,  a composer whose academic studies started with theology. Dedicating himself to composition, he makes a deal with the devil. The narrator is his boyhood friend, Serenus Zeitblom, who interweaves Adrian's tale with the Second World War. 

    When I finished I was overwhelmed by the story and how masterfully Mann pulled it all together. There is a lot to reflect on about the creative process, the madness that overtook a civilized nation, and the element of evil.No spoiler alert is necessary, as I will betray nothing. This is not a fast read (I read in German), but it is worth one's time.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Stop the Presses! Sadly....

        A sad week in our household. For the first time in over forty years, my wife and I do not have a newspaper to hold in our hands. She...