Tuesday, August 30, 2022

Why I Bought- and Stopped Reading- "The Satanic Verses"

    When the book came out in 1988 I was too busy to do much reading that was not work-related. I was doing my student teaching, serving in the New Mexico Army Guard, I was a part-time Lutheran pastor in a wonderful setting, and my wife and I were moving into our first home.

     Of course, I was aware of the controversy, the fatwa, and Rushdie's need to go into hiding. Horrible indeed! When he was attacked on stage last month, I decided to buy a Kindle version, because I have more time to read now and I wanted to support him financially.

     I understand and enjoy magical realism. The Satanic Verses shifts from one storyline to another and seems to be akin to an LSD trip. Not that I would know that from personal experience, but that is how it seems to be.,

     One-fourth of the way through I started to jump ahead. Still felt the same way. 

     In a time when people in the USA want to ban books, I support the freedom of speech and am against censorship. People are free to write, and read, what they want. Maybe you enjoy this book. And that is fine. I hope


Rushdie recovers and writes more. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Stop the Presses! Sadly....

        A sad week in our household. For the first time in over forty years, my wife and I do not have a newspaper to hold in our hands. She...