Monday, August 8, 2022

Reviews Are So Very Important to Writers, and So Hard to Get

      When my first poetry book was published seven years ago, I dutifully asked readers/friends to review it. That book, Places and Times, eLectio Publishing, has the most Amazon reviews of any that I have written: 30. 

      A few friends highlighted it on their social media, which was wonderful. When I asked some others, here are some of the responses, and in parentheses my comments:

     - I will get around to it. I have a note on my computer screen.  (never happened)

     - Oh, I am not qualified! (All you have to do is to say you like it.)

     -I only read a few poems at a time.  (So, write when you are done).

     - I'm too busy. (So was I when I did something like this for you. But I did it.)

      Recently Amazon said I review I had written went against their community standards. That confused me since I could not figure out what they meant after I read their Guidelines. I submitted a short and in my opinion less-insightful review which hopefully will be acceptable.

      Some of these people remain good friends. I have gotten over being miffed because life is too short. My point here is that if you read something that you like, leave a review. And be honest! If you did not like it, say so. If you have any connection to the author, it is even more important for you to leave a review. 

       Not all authors are supportive, even if they appear to be. Sad, but that is true. That is why it is all the more important for you to step up and review. And once you do, post on social media that you have reviewed. Leave a link or simply say that you liked the book. 

      Thanks for reading this blog! Here are links to my books.

      https://www.amazon.com/Arthur-Turfa/e/B00YJ9LNOA%3Fref=dbs_a_mng_rwt_scns_share

     https://www.blurb.com/b/10799783-the-botleys-of-beaumont-county

   










No comments:

Post a Comment

Stop the Presses! Sadly....

        A sad week in our household. For the first time in over forty years, my wife and I do not have a newspaper to hold in our hands. She...