Monday, May 30, 2022

A Poem for Memorial Day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8qPMNIGzJU 


     I enjoyed teaching Yusuf Kommnyakaa's stunning poem. Students' reactions were profound; they grasped the poem's complexity and meaning. Maybe not the one who thought that the Andrew Johnson referenced was the 17th president. Hopefully, he works through that!

     In my college class (I finished my adjunct life in a 16-year stretch at Midlands Technical College in South Carolina) I began ENG 102 with a short unit on war poetry. Maybe I will share some of them here. 

     The reason I developed this unit was to ensure that there was some poetry
in the new rhetoric-based curriculum.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stop the Presses! Sadly....

        A sad week in our household. For the first time in over forty years, my wife and I do not have a newspaper to hold in our hands. She...