Saturday, May 21, 2022

Weaponizing the Eucharist- Shameful- Now it's Speaker Pelosi Who is Banned

 https://www.aol.com/archbishop-pelosi-denied-communion-over-212117413-000129076.html


       This is going to be a longer piece than a tweet could be. For the benefit of readers not from or familiar with the US political scene, the 1973 decision of Roe v. Wade which legalized abortion will likely be overturned by an increasingly fractious Supreme Court. Several states, including South Carolina, which is where I live, will ban abortion in ALL cases.

       This means that if a woman is raped and impregnated, she will have to give birth. Same for a teenager. 

       And the same politicians tend not to support things like WIC, AFDC, and other programs that help children born into poverty.

        While I do not believe that abortion should be used as birth control, I believe that a woman should be able to make these decisions. Her partner should be involved, ideally her family, friends, and other professionals including clergy. Full disclosure; I am a pastor in good standing (retired) in the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. ELCA members can be pro-choice or pro-life. We remain in fellowship, sacramental, and in other ways.

         If you have not read the above link, please do so now.  Candidate Biden encountered the same thing here in South Carolina early in 2020. That a Roman Catholic archbishop elevates one point of doctrine above all others and makes that the one indispensable criterion for faith is to me theologically, pastorally, and completely wrong. 

        As St. John Chrysostom said long ago, the Church is a hospital for sinners. We do not control the Sacraments. I do not quiz people on their theology, politics, interests, or anything when I invite them to receive the Eucharist. Rather, I leave that up to God's mercy. 

        I wish the archbishop in San Francisco did the same.

        

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Epiphanies" from Alien Buddha Press- Available on Amazon- Read a story here

https://alienbuddhapress.wordpress.com/author/alienbuddhapress/       I am so thrilled about this short story collection,, my first one. Ali...