Friday, January 7, 2022

Warning: Political Post on January 6 One Year Later

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/january-6-cheney/2022/01/06/72665baa-6f1e-11ec-974b-d1c6de8b26b0_story.html 


     If anyone out there ever wants to ensure that I will have nothing to do with them. merely say that the [andemic is fake and/or that January 6, 2021, was caused by Antifa and that the person who was president then is innocent of any and all wrongdoing.

     For years I shuddered at the mention of or a picture of Dick Cheney. He pulled the strings in the Bush Administration and much more. A year before I deployed myself, I was talked to a physician assistant nearing 60 who was being mobilized. In our conversation, he asked if I ever heard of Halliburton. I stifled a laugh and said that I heard. "They always seem to be ahead of where we go." I complied with the Hatch Act and merely nodded. Wearing the uniform does not allow one to discuss personal political beliefs.

     Since 2016, the American political landscape is changing. It is terrifying to some extent and fascinating in another. In my youth I was a liberal Republican (yes, I am THAT old), but that changed as the GOP lurches to the right. The party of Lincoln, Teddy Roosevelt, and Eisenhower is a political cult dedicated to authoritarianism. Any Republican who supported the insurrection is no friend of Democracy. 

     Liz Cheney has her father's seat in Congress. He came back to the House yesterday. I was- and remain- stunned. Dick and I are in agreement on something? Yes indeed! It is about preserving America we know and love. 

     David Brooks has it right in the latest ATLANTIC. Conservatives need to ally with moderate Democrats for the time being. If the Conservatives want to form their own party, I concur heartily. We need a two-party system. The Republicans began when the Whigs fractured. Now the Republicans have degenerated into a neo-Know-Nothing Party. It is time for Conservatives to start a new party.


     


No comments:

Post a Comment

Stop the Presses! Sadly....

        A sad week in our household. For the first time in over forty years, my wife and I do not have a newspaper to hold in our hands. She...