Friday, December 31, 2021

Yes, Authors Need Those Reviews... So Write Them!

 

     The other day a renowned poet whom I know ( I am not a name-dropper ) posted that authors need those 5-Star reviews. Actually, poets/writers, authors, or whatever one calls us, need any honest reviews. 

     Why? Platforms like Amazon, Goodreads, and the rest attach much importance to them. An author's ranks can be determined by them. 

     If we find a great restaurant, see a fantastic movie, or hear an awesome song, we will not hesitate to tell people about it. But when we read a good book in any genre, well, that is another thing.

     Here are some of the reasons I have heard about why people even good friends, some of whom I care about deeply, have given for not reviewing one of my books.

     I'm not qualified.

     I do not have the time.

     I like to savor a few of your poems at a time.

     Oh, I will try to do it.

    You get the idea. first of all, you do not have to be a literature professor to review. Your opinion is as good as theirs. If you liked it, say why. It takes only a few minutes to log on, give the 5 stars or whatever, and say that you liked the book. Maybe even mention a poem or something specific. We all spend too much time playing a game or surfing the web, so we can write a review.

     Another thing or two. About these "Looking for Reviews" posts one sees. Sometimes people simply want a free e-copy of a book. That has happened to me. I generally try to get something reviewed quickly. Mostly I review poetry books or chapbooks. They do not take a lot of time to read, and so I usually can have something posted within a week at the most. So I do my part, and then I start hearing about all kinds of excuses why the other person is "too busy." Lately, I have taken to saying that it's all right, but if that person EVER asks anything of me again.....

     One last thing. IT is important not only to post in one place but in several. 

     Let's be honest; none of us is going to become wildly famous, win Nobels or Pulitzers and the like. But we all listen to our muses and render some of the beauty we sense in order to give pleasure and make the world better. All we ask is that people be willing to support what we do. 

     Now, is that too hard a thing to do?

https://www.amazon.com/Arthur-Turfa/e/B00YJ9LNOA%3Fref=dbs_a_mng_rwt_scns_share

https://www.blurb.com/b/10799783-the-botleys-of-beaumont-county

https://www.blurb.com/b/10335105-all-in-the-family-2nd-edition


    



No comments:

Post a Comment

Stop the Presses! Sadly....

        A sad week in our household. For the first time in over forty years, my wife and I do not have a newspaper to hold in our hands. She...