Saturday, December 18, 2021

Thinking about a Past Advent/Christmas


      In December 2004 I was in the middle of my deployment to Würzburg, Germany. Better Soldiers were in Iraq or Afghanistan; I was in a place that was my second home: Germany. Not that the Army knew I spoke German and had been there often before. I was the chaplain with a hospital unit, and we were backfill for a unit that had gone to Iraq.

     We had the choice to spend one of these three holidays at home: Thanksgiving, Christmas, or New Year's. Since my chapel worshipping community needed an ordained presider at the altar, I chose Thanksgiving. My family could not come for Christmas due to the medical needs of a family member. That meant I was going to be without them. A family from my chapel invited me for Christmas Dinner, so I was not alone.

     In the time leading up to Christmas, I did some typical German things in addition to my military duties. I attended a performance of Bach;'s Christmas Oratorio and went several times to the Adventsmarkt. 

     Last year I had the wonderful experience of participating in Tupelo Press' 30/30 Project for December. Along with several other poets, I agreed to write a poem for each day of the month. Here is one about that time:

     Adventsmarkt in Würzburg

 

Fifteen Decembers ago

separated from those I love,

facing a hollow Advent/Christmas,

 

comfort sought I near the sea

of bright lights surrounding

the Marienkappele, aswirl

 

in color, aromas of baked goods

and sausages. By Glühwein warmed,

 enraptured by familiar music sung and played,

 

 on a cold Franconian night thinking of years

 gone by and about my new home. Solace I

 found, solace tendered to others now possible.

 

 Only the lights of ambulances and police

cars illuminate the silent city in this somber

 December. Memories console, hope inspires.

   Arthur Turfa, ©2020


     Wherever you are now, and whatever you celebrate, I wish you joy, peace, and companionship!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stop the Presses! Sadly....

        A sad week in our household. For the first time in over forty years, my wife and I do not have a newspaper to hold in our hands. She...