Wednesday, December 8, 2021

Remembering John Lennon, 41 Years On


 

     When the Beatles became famous, many of us in the 5th grade grew our hair longer. Only we had to push it back onto our heads at home, and then comb it down n Beatle Bangs at school, before reversing the process don't he bus ride home.

     Of all the Beatles, I am most like John. Not cute like Paul (whom we saw in concert in 2019), a musician like George, or constantly quirky, talented, and upbeat like Ringo (whom we will see in 2022, postponed from 2020). John and I share a love of language, a sense of wordplay, and I strongly suspect that we both used humor to mask some inner turmoil and dissatisfaction with things at times. 

    On the verge of returning to the public arena, John was senselessly murdered in a city he regarded as both home and safe. As I write this the US is gripped again in a plague of gun violence at school. Two schools in my former district near Columbia, SC, have had gun incidents with thankfully no violence or death, but the fear is of course there.

     Another reason I wished John was still here is that I would like to have seen him evolve. Not musically, but that would have been nice. Yes, of course for a Beatles reunion! What I mean though is his thinking on various subjects. Even back in the day, I thought he was incredibly naive about the peace thing and that "Imagine" has some lines with which I totally disagree ("Imagine there's no heaven" for one).  

    That being said the world is a poorer place for not having him here. The music I grew up with, and by and large still listen to (Yes, I do listen to newer music!) remains the best and partially because the people who made and/or performed it had more to them than musical./vocal ability. 

     There are a few songs about John (from George and Elton John), but here are some from Paul. The last one is especially poignant.

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/songs-paul-mccartney-wrote-about-john-lennon/

     


2 comments:

  1. Great angle, Arthur. Thank you for writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for reading, Evelyn! I hope you and yours are doing well!

    ReplyDelete

Stop the Presses! Sadly....

        A sad week in our household. For the first time in over forty years, my wife and I do not have a newspaper to hold in our hands. She...