Tuesday, October 19, 2021

Leonard Cohen and Sacred Texts

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/oct/17/how-leonard-cohen-mined-sacred-texts-for-lyrics-to-his-songs 

     Regardless of what thinks about religion (Full disclosure: I am a Lutheran pastor of 40+ years service), many sacred texts contain excellently written passages. For example, thin of the Psalms from the Hebrew Bible or Christian Old Testament, the Prologue to St. John's Gospel, to name but two.

     Cohen was an observant Jew who appreciated the beauty in texts from other faiths These inspired his own writing., and also his own life of faith.

     Every so often I would have a student who wrote in one or more genres. When I asked whom they read, often I would get a response like "Nobody. I just write." I would talk about whom I read and who inspired me. Usually, I could see the student tuning me out. Then I would smile.and hope they would eventually get my point.

     So listen again to Leonard Cohen, and see if you find more allusions to sacred texts. I know that I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stop the Presses! Sadly....

        A sad week in our household. For the first time in over forty years, my wife and I do not have a newspaper to hold in our hands. She...