Saturday, March 26, 2016

Favorite Easter Hymn

     There is a Facebook page for everyone and everything. While I belong to the one for clergy of my denomination (Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, for those who wonder), I do not spend time on it. The primary reason is that since I am retired, there is not much I can gain from it, and not too much that I can contribute. Also, I am bust with my educational career and poetry.

     Since my wife is an active pastor, I hear from her about some things. Recently a thread began about favorite Easter hymns. Of course there are several, but I single out "Come Ye Faithful, Raise the Strain."

     How many texts survive, and are still used, that were written by St. John Damascene (8th Century).? John Mason Neale did a wonderful translation, and while there are several tunes, I prefer the one here.

     I learned this lovely hymn at the first seminary I attended, Christ Seminary-Seminex, in St. Louis, Missouri. A lot of my piety was formed there, and still is rooted in the best of the Missouri Synod tradition. It was there that I became a "churchman", as they say, and it has served me well in several ways.

     One day in this blog, there might well be more about my seminary path and such things, but for now......



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhjKMeOpH4I

http://www.hymnary.org/text/come_ye_faithful_raise_the_strain

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Epiphanies" from Alien Buddha Press- Available on Amazon- Read a story here

https://alienbuddhapress.wordpress.com/author/alienbuddhapress/       I am so thrilled about this short story collection,, my first one. Ali...