Thursday, March 24, 2016

Another Good Friday Hymn


    I neither include this hymn because it was written by a Hungarian nor because I had a few hits from the Old Country on the blog. It is a powerful, moving hymn not generally-known in the English-speaking world.

about the hymn a
nd composer:
http://www.hymnary.org/files/articles/Brink,%20There%20in%20God's%20Garden.pdf

the hymn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFGne7VGpMY

     Pecsélyi Király Imre ( N.B. Hungarians, or Magyars, as I like to refer to us, are still Asiatic in that officially the last name is given first. I would be Turfa Artur Vilmos) studied at Heidelberg and was a Reformed pastor around 1600. My grandmother Adorjan's family was staunchly Hungarian Reformed (so much that my Lutheran grandfather has no choice in confession. About 11 % of Magyars today are Calvinist (Reformed), 2% Lutheran; roman Catholics at 39% still are the largest religious group.

     At a later date I might offer a few speculations about the subject. For now I will conclude that at one time I thought I might need to ask to join the United Church of Christ's Calvin Synod base don ethnicity. My grandmother would have been proud.\, but I remained Lutheran and on some Sundays, Episcopalian.




No comments:

Post a Comment

"Epiphanies" from Alien Buddha Press- Available on Amazon- Read a story here

https://alienbuddhapress.wordpress.com/author/alienbuddhapress/       I am so thrilled about this short story collection,, my first one. Ali...