Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Repost of Fairport Convention's "Liege and Leaf"

Liege and Leaf by Fairport Convention

 At the gym tonight, I was in a mood for something different to listen to while working out. I am of a generation that learned to do things without needing electronic devices for everything. While I do not listen to music when downstairs on the machines and weights, it is nice to listen to something during aerobic exercises; especially in  those rare cases when someone is on a mach
ine while talking on the cell phone about how they are exercising. I want to do one of two things: 1. Scream, "If you can talk, then it is not exercises!" or 2. Starting singing along to what I am listening to." But I  behave myself, since someone has to.

   Why this album tonight? Perhaps  because I hear recently heard from some dear friends who are really family who not only loved this music, but also played and sang it. We were talking about Places and Times, my poetry book. Also, it might be because I was thinking of the time I discovered this music.   Below the original post form some time ago: 


 This time, it is an entire albums! Mixing traditional folk with original compositions so seamlessly with electric guitars, Fairport Convention ignited interest in older music. My mother had a copy of Francis James Child's one-volume abridgment of English and Scottish Popular Ballads which I pored over. Friends of mine could play and sing, I could read and dream of writing. I heard Fairport in Berkeley, CA in 1975 minus Sandy Denny.  Later on I used songs from this album and others like it when teaching British Literature.

  I post a link to "Matty Groves": . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK_7AqH1VGQ



No comments:

Post a Comment

"Epiphanies" from Alien Buddha Press- Available on Amazon- Read a story here

https://alienbuddhapress.wordpress.com/author/alienbuddhapress/       I am so thrilled about this short story collection,, my first one. Ali...