Monday, June 1, 2015

I would be the Oxford Chair of Poetry...

     .....only no one has asked me. Likely one needs to be a UK citizen, and I am not willing to change my citizenship, nor am I in threat of being deported. But there seems to be quite a public row. read this from the Guardian: http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/may/26/wole-soyinka-not-too-grand-and-old-oxford-poetry-chair-melvyn-bragg

     Today there was a revelatory blast from the past about how Philip Larkin did not want to face those dreary literary parties when one sipped sherry. I would insist on neat whiskey or at the very least, some good ale or brown beer. But that probably would not suit Oxford. My own experience there is limited. I should say, our experience, since my wife and I passed through on our honeymoon in 1983.

     Actually I was going to offer myself as a summer Professor of Poetry, since I am available as of Friday for a while.  am certain that Oxford would not mind paying for me to fly back to South Carolina for some previously-scheduled readings here. But then I took another offer locally for some of the season, so Oxford will have to sort this out without me, at least this time.

    I conclude with a poem by Gerard Manley Hopkins about of Oxford of a medieval philophers, whose grace I actually stumbled on in Cologne, Germany.

http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/173658

Maybe next time!

   


No comments:

Post a Comment

"Epiphanies" from Alien Buddha Press- Available on Amazon- Read a story here

https://alienbuddhapress.wordpress.com/author/alienbuddhapress/       I am so thrilled about this short story collection,, my first one. Ali...