Saturday, March 14, 2015

This is a repost because a poem by my friend Amrita Valan (posted on Facebook's Serious Lovers of Poetry) reminded me of this from last summer. Thanks, Amrita!

My catalyst for this was Teilhard de Chardin's Le Milieu Divin. " All the communions of a life-time are one communion.
All the communions of all men now living are one communion.
All the communions of all men, present, past and future, are one communion."



The Telos of Time
I
If all time is indeed
Eternally present, somehow
Past and present coexisting
With future that has been
Will have been
And contained in every moment
That was, is, or will be,
How is any moment discerned?

Am I soaking my sneakers
In morning’s dew
In early coolness
With the sunrise over the hill
And sitting in the den
Composing these lines
As darkness shrouds the tall pines
Or as I do whatever it shall be
In the years granted
Wherever, however I will spend them?

II
Blissfully unaware of the connection
We remain
Separating them by tenses and times
Compelling time into a flowing stream
Into whose waters we step only once
At any given time.

Every so often, some of us
Glance at distant stars
Whose fleeting constellations
Show connections we perhaps
Suspected and set our course anew

III
At the axis mundi
Where the veil between
Eternity and time
Is somewhat lifted,
We experience the
Moment above time,
The transcendent moment
Where Creator and creature
Redeemer and redeemed,
Sanctifier and sanctified
From all places and times,
Host holding a host
Shatter time as it is measured
Transitioning into timelessness.

IV
Through action long ago
Continuing, never repeated,
We stand on the verge
Of was-is-will be and
Never-changing now
Ever-transforming
Ever onward-rushing
To consummation.

© Arthur Turfa, 2014


No comments:

Post a Comment

Stop the Presses! Sadly....

        A sad week in our household. For the first time in over forty years, my wife and I do not have a newspaper to hold in our hands. She...