Friday, September 25, 2015

Great Time at TYCA-SC


    Today's Two-Year College Association-South Carolina Conference in Sumter, South Carolina, could not have been better! I saw some friends, made some new ones, gave a 30-minute reading that was well-received, and networked for some future events. Additionally, I learned some things I can use in my classrooms.

     Rhonda Grego, who had the idea to invite me to read today, said some very nice things. She is a former English Department chair at Midlands Technical College,. We share Penn State and some ties to Western Pennsylvania. I've been an adjunct at Midlands for a decade now (where does time go?) and have no plans to stop anytime soon.
   
     Reading to an audience of fellow English instructors could be intimidating, but doing such things never stopped me before. They of course knew some of my English literary allusions, and a few caught some of the others. One colleague said he even learned a new word: "thalassic".

    My poet friend Len Lawson, from Morris College across town (he also adjuncts at Central Carolina Technical College, site of the conference) took the pictures. I will also include the link again to my poem "Brief Elegy for a Burned-out Church" from his Poets Respond to Race site.

http://poetsrespondtorace.weebly.com/arthur-turfa.html

    I debited my new "English teacher sportcoat".





   
     

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stop the Presses! Sadly....

        A sad week in our household. For the first time in over forty years, my wife and I do not have a newspaper to hold in our hands. She...