Tuesday, September 8, 2015

A verse than inspired me


     Even during those years when I was not writing poetry, I would think of the fifth verse of G>M> Hopkins' "The Wreck of the Deutschland" when getting the paper from the mailbox on dark mornings, especially in colder weather, when the stars shone more brightly:

     I kiss my hand
      To the stars, lovely-asunder
   Starlight, wafting him out of it; and
      Glow, glory in thunder;
Kiss my hand to the dappled-with-damson west:
Since, tho' he is under the world's splendour and wonder,
    His mystery must be instressed, stressed;
For I greet him the days I meet him, and bless when I understand.

This morning I saw the stars vividly, and my 15 Words a Day Challenge piece was:

Against deep-black sky
brilliance of starlight
descending to earth
raising eyes
to constellations and more
Arthur Turfa, copyright, 2015

I think Gerard Manley Hopkins would approve.  Check out the site on Facebook and Google+ and add your 15 Words a Day. It does help keep a writer in practice. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

"Epiphanies" from Alien Buddha Press- Available on Amazon- Read a story here

https://alienbuddhapress.wordpress.com/author/alienbuddhapress/       I am so thrilled about this short story collection,, my first one. Ali...