Tuesday, October 1, 2024

The Boss Turned 75- Happy Belated Birthday, Bruce Springsteen

     N

                           . .ɓ  . B  
 

     With Helene paying the Southeastern US a visit, there has  been a lot going on. Belated 75 75th birthday to Bruce!

     In 1975 I started at UC-Irvine as a teaching assistant in German. My life had improved, mainly because of a regular paycheck, but also because I began my teaching career. Living 3,000 or so my my Pennsylvania home, I was getting used to California, but still missing some things from my past.

    Whatever the Los Angeles radio station it was escapes me. I remember the DJ introducing a new song by someone from New Jersey. I snickered. "I bet this will be good." 

     Two minutes into "Born to Run" I was hooked. Next payday, I went to the record store that was next to my bank and bought the album. About 25 years ago my wife gave me tickets to the E Street Band tour in Madison Square Garden- 14th row even!

     When I taught, every 9/11 I would play his "Into the Fire" regardless of whether I taught German, English, or Mythology. We discussed the song and its meaning, along with its application to our lives.

     Bruce revitalized Rock and Roll in the 1970s so overwhelmed by Disco (do not get me started). Over the years he has morphed into an electric Woody Guthrie, advocating for freedom from hunger and for democracy. Musically, he has also expanded his horizons. Or better put,  dne some things he always wanted to do. 

    Bruce is still touring! And that is good news.

---

Links to my books:

https://www.amazon.com/Books-Arthur-Turfa/s?rh=n%3A283155%2Cp_27%3AArthur+Turfa


https://www.blurb.com/b/10799783-the-botleys-of-beaumont-county


     

2 comments:

  1. I got the chance to go to Bruce concert when I was about 24, it still stands in memory as the best concert I ever attended. You could feel the electricity in the air. I saw him at the old Giants Stadium, also close to the stage, center ground...I can't remember exact row and I lost the ticket stub to a kind of fire of my own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Before the Wrecking Ball came! We saw McCartney in 2019, and that was even more awesome. But I hate to compare. Both concert, and others we have seen, stand out. Nothign like live music, and NO DISCO!

    ReplyDelete

Finding Peace in Dresden

        As 2005 began, I knew my deployment to Würzburg, Germany, would likely end in a few months. I would be able to return to my family i...