Monday, July 12, 2021

Genesis of the Novel


   Getting closer to the launch! About 40 years ago I started writing a novel. Parts of it appear in this one. There was a church whose pastor went off the deep end. I based that on a story I read in the Philadelphia Inquirer who claimed there was a weeping statue of the Virgin Mary in his church. There was a lot of excitement over that, and eventually, the bishop wanted to stop it. The priest then declared himself to be the true pope, and a week or so later also declared himself patriarch of Constantinople. He later went off with his followers somewhere.

    St. Clement's Episcopal church plays a major role in my novel. Especially in the South, this was the prestigious denomination. Years ago I met someone who told me when his career took off, he was invited to join the local parish. I have been licensed as a supply priest in a few dioceses, and know the lay fo the land, so to speak.

    Obviously, the Botleys have been long-time members of the parish. And it has had some excitement@

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stop the Presses! Sadly....

        A sad week in our household. For the first time in over forty years, my wife and I do not have a newspaper to hold in our hands. She...