Saturday, August 18, 2018

Return to the Rosewood Art & Music Festival


     A few years back I had a wonderful time at this event, and a poem resulted from the experience. One year we had a horrible flood in South Carolina, which we are only recently recovered from with respect to repairing roads and bridges.

     Looking at the bottom of the Participant's Badge, some might wonder what I am doing there. "Southern Arts and Culture? But you're from Pennsylvania!"

     That's true. but I spent three years in Virginia, and have lived (and paid taxes) in South Carolina for thirteen years. I am not interested in discussing ethnicity, place of birth, talking about the Civil War, or anything of the sort. I am married to a Southerner.

     But this is what I will talk about. My poems have been for the most part written in the South. Here there is a strong sense of place, and while that is not unique to these parts, I resonate to it. A few years back I asked in a Facebook group if one can be considered a Southern writer without having been born here. The overwhelming answer was "no", usually but not always politely stated. One reply said it all depended on marketing.

     I am comfortable here, and quite frankly would not want to face another winter in the North or Midwest. So in the South I live, write, and enjoy life. Saluda Reflections, my latest book of poetry, from Finishing Line Press, is named after the beautiful county where we live.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Stop the Presses! Sadly....

        A sad week in our household. For the first time in over forty years, my wife and I do not have a newspaper to hold in our hands. She...