Sunday, August 6, 2017

An Extremely Pleasant Surprise

    Back in January I won the chance to select a book for a prize at a Poetry Slam at the Coffee Shelf in Chapin, SC. I selected Ian Caldwell's The Fifth Gospel. My fear is that it would be one of those "Jesus went to India/Jesus and Mary Magdalene were married/Jesus was an alien" type of books.

     This Summer I finally started to read, after putting out Accents and welcoming our grandson to the world. I was wrong! This is an excellent mystery. All that I am giving away now, and it is not much, is that it concerns relations between Catholics and Orthodox Christians, exegetical methods, and the Shroud of Turin.

     Full disclosure/reminder: I am a retired Lutheran pastor (ELCA f0r those who understand initials) whose dissertation concern Catholic/Orthodox/Lutheran attempts at unity. What a wonderful surprise!

http://www.simonandschuster.com/books/The-Fifth-Gospel/Ian-Caldwell/9781451694154


No comments:

Post a Comment

"Epiphanies" from Alien Buddha Press- Available on Amazon- Read a story here

https://alienbuddhapress.wordpress.com/author/alienbuddhapress/       I am so thrilled about this short story collection,, my first one. Ali...