Friday, October 28, 2016

Will they raise the standard in November?

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/28/us/politics/donald-trump-voters.html?_r=0

   An earlier post spoke about this excellent book. Will disappointed Trump supporters rise up against a President Clinton?

   Full disclosure: I have always voted Democratic in national elections, beginning in 1972. In my earlier life, I was chairman of the local Teenage Republicans (TARS) in Montgomery County, PA. At that time I was a Liberal Republican, still admiring William F. Buckley's vocabulary, but not his politics. By 1970, I realized that I was more in tune with the Democrats.

   Now that all that is out of the way, I do fear some trouble if Trump loses, as he likely will. Part of me wishes that we had taken to the streets in 2000, when Gore was robbed of his rightful victory. Maybe my Jacobite fascination began then. Some friends and I even had some problems with toasts to the President of the United States at Army dinners. I thought of the "King over the waters".

    However, no one in 2000 thought of committing acts of violence. That is not the case in 2016, I fear. I am saddened by what is happening to my country. But I have faith in it, and that things will be all right. There is not much more that I can do!

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Epiphanies" from Alien Buddha Press- Available on Amazon- Read a story here

https://alienbuddhapress.wordpress.com/author/alienbuddhapress/       I am so thrilled about this short story collection,, my first one. Ali...