Tuesday, August 9, 2016

42nd Anniversary of Nixon Resignation


     In 1968 I campaigned for Richard Nixon as much as any teenager could. Back then I was even a Teen-age Republican, of the liberal sort. I even heard him speak; he was an impressive speaker. Four years later my mind had changed and I voted for George McGovern.

     During the Summer of 1974 I studied in Trier, then West Germany, through Georgetown University. I was going to attend graduate school there, which I eventually did not do. But in June of that year I stayed with a Penn State friend who was in grad school but at George Washington. He later went on to be a White House correspondent for Reuters. He took me to a party in his building., where I met David and Julie Nixon Eisenhower. We did not discuss politics.

     Soon afterward we watched the resignation in the middle of the night German time. Now this Summer, I shake my head at what is going on during our election season, and I miss Nixon. A high school and Penn State friend and I were chatting about that tonight on .
Facebook

     Listen to James Taylor's song about the resignation.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC-IXqBY-8E

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stop the Presses! Sadly....

        A sad week in our household. For the first time in over forty years, my wife and I do not have a newspaper to hold in our hands. She...