Saturday, November 1, 2014

Significant Song Number 10

The Mothers of Invention

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDE9MC3jnl0

from the double album "Freak Out"

I had known about protest music before 1966, but not with a rock beat. Here was actual social commentary and satire interwoven with good contemporary music, not something good to an old-fashioned beat!

The more I listened to the Mothers and learned about Zappa, the more I was excited. In 1973 I actually met the band when they played Penn State. Using my campus radio station credentials (which consisted of, "I'm with WDFM"), I managed to hang out with the band for a bit over two days and received Zappa's autograph, which hangs framed on my wall. My son says that when I do not need it anymore, it is going on Ebay in an instant.

Zappa evolved into a type of statesman, astounding many but not me. What i took from this is that I should not be afraid of who I am or what I think. that was a good message for a teenager/young man, and is not bad today!

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Epiphanies" from Alien Buddha Press- Available on Amazon- Read a story here

https://alienbuddhapress.wordpress.com/author/alienbuddhapress/       I am so thrilled about this short story collection,, my first one. Ali...