Friday, April 22, 2016

400th Anniversary of Shakespeare's Death


     In high school we read Julius Caesar, Hamlet, and assorted sonnets. But I really came to appreciate him in a roundabout way. In a German drama class as an undergraduate we read Johann Wolfgang Goethe's youth praise ( I was about his age then), Zum Shakespeares Tag/Speech on Shakespeare's Day. Slowly, I came to appreciate the Bard not because people told me I had to, but because he was so excellent. An independent study class I took while obtaining English certification sealed my admiration.

    See, if you will, what the Guardian had to say:
http://www.theguardian.com/culture/theatreblog/2010/oct/06/german-william-shakespeare

Ach! I recall learning that Gotthold Eprhaim
Lessing's translations were so good that many Germans thought Shakespeare was one of them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Epiphanies" from Alien Buddha Press- Available on Amazon- Read a story here

https://alienbuddhapress.wordpress.com/author/alienbuddhapress/       I am so thrilled about this short story collection,, my first one. Ali...