Tuesday, January 5, 2016

Outstanding Biography of Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00UEII4MY/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?ie=UTF8&btkr=1

     Here's the link! Even non-literary types will enjoy Noel Gerson's portrait of this pioneering woman to whom all female authors owe a debt. and not only authors, but women who have or wish for careers. We men can also be inspired by Mary's resilience, talent, and courage. I myself am lucky to have a wife like Mary;however she is too busy to read this or any other book I fear.

     As someone who has earned a large part of his livelihood teaching English, I will make a confession. At university I was not an English major and consequently i have no degree in English. There are those who would take that information and engage in character assassination.  Once in another class I mentioned that I was a German major at Penn State. A student raised his hand and asked "But weren't you in our Army?" Before I could reply, another student chimed in with, "You idiot! He means that he studied German!   As Kurt Vonnegut would say, "So it goes".

     The interesting thing about this book (yes, back to that) is how it shows that Mary had a career on her own after Percy's death. A fascinating read about the romantic Movement, Britain, art, literature, love and persistence.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stop the Presses! Sadly....

        A sad week in our household. For the first time in over forty years, my wife and I do not have a newspaper to hold in our hands. She...