Monday, January 18, 2016

I Read Winnie-the-Pooh as an Adult


   Alan Alexander Milne was born 18 January 1882 in London, England. I knew the name, but I never read anything by him as a child, o had anything of his read to me as a child. My wife, who introduced me to Milne, found that amazing. Both my parent read to me, and encouraged reading all sorts of things. But if there was something or someone my mother did not like, there was no chance. That ended with the Beatles!

    In high school Latin class we heard of Winnie ille Pu, the translation, but by that time I had decided to switch to German and wondered why anyone would translate into Latin instead of the other way around. Around that time I knew Jefferson Airplane's album, The House at Pooh Corners, and wondered about the name.  In college I bought Steeleye Span's Now We are Six, the album that welcome a drummer. At my last shcool, Drew University in Madison, New Jersey, there is a Hundred-Acre-Wood on cmapus.

    The Walt Disney cartoons where not watched until our son was born, and through my wife, I realized how wonderful the characters and stories were. there was more to Milne that a writer of children's books. He served in both World Wars (wounded at the Somme, he was in the Home Guard in the Second War). An early teacher and later friend was H.G. Wells. Milne wrote many plays and other works, but is most famous for Winnie.


Go have some honey and roam the Hundred Acre Wood! Hopeffully it is not too blustery where you are!

https://la.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winnie_ille_Pu


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAkOkUCTYfs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d1RgUO5E9fw



No comments:

Post a Comment

Stop the Presses! Sadly....

        A sad week in our household. For the first time in over forty years, my wife and I do not have a newspaper to hold in our hands. She...