Wednesday, October 7, 2015

TS Eliot would be pleased

     If you have read this blog for any length of time, then you know my admiration for TS Eliot and "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock".  The other day when I read Skylark Hatee;s poem inspired by his masterpiece, I had tw
o reactions. First, I was absolutely blown away. Second, I messaged her asking for permission to share on the blog.

     Skylark is one of the newest friends I have form New Jersey. She is a fellow English teacher;whoever is fortunate to learn from her is blessed beyond belief. I thank her for allowing me to post her awesome work here, and for being a friend!


A poem inspired by T.S. Eliot's "Lovesong of J. Alfred Prufrock" with a twist:


The Wearied Love Song of Her:

And so it is here with you and I
Sitting by the morning cakes and tea
You said you liked your coffee black
And I winced a smile or two
For the room was delicately laid out 
Like a Victorian painting or 
A beautiful scene from 
Some novel of Proust's

You tenderly looked 
Up at me and proclaimed:
"La giornata è lunga la mia cara"*
And I willingly agreed
For like Prufrock's love song
Why would I 
"Force the moment to its crisis!"**

Push past the door 
Albeniz's "Leyenda" 
Fills the corridor...

And so it is my dear 
That I have to tread 
Around your song and dance
With the most delicate of feet
Taking care not to trip
On the discordant tunes 
Of your symphony
Lest I should shatter 
The porcelain chinaware!

But should the delicate pieces 
Fall and shatter
My darling t'would not matter
Lest you assume my ego is 
A thing made of such 
Gossemary frivolities 
That I would fall apart 
With the slightest 
Furrowing of your brow

Push past the door and
Albeniz's "Leyenda"
Fills the corridor...

I should have joined a convent 
And devoted myself 
To spiritual matters
Though to you I may seem 
Like some Eleanor of Aquitaine
With my silk laced camisoles
My velvet gloves and silver broach
I neatly use my locks to pin

Seven years and counting
I refuse to eat the delicacies 
You have given me
Do I dare eat a dark mint 
Chocolate covered plum
While your eyes pierce mine? 

But alas this illusion must shatter!
For I have wept and prayed
Prayed and wept 
For some divine intervention
Regarding this matter!

Push past the door and
Albeniz's "Leyenda"
Fills the corridor...

I grow weary... I grow weary 
With each passing day
That perhaps some diamond 
Would surface from within
And once again you look 
Up at me and proclaim:
"La giornata è lunga la mia carra"

And once again I float
Into the iridescent 
Sea of your melody 
Until the clarion call of reality 
Summons me forth
And in its echoing scream I drown
Within an impossible dream

Push past the door and
Albeniz's "Leyenda" 
fills the corridor...

© 2015 Skylark Hatee


* "La giornata è lunga la mia cara" in Italian translates to "The day is long my dear."

** from T.S. Eliot's "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock"

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Epiphanies" from Alien Buddha Press- Available on Amazon- Read a story here

https://alienbuddhapress.wordpress.com/author/alienbuddhapress/       I am so thrilled about this short story collection,, my first one. Ali...