Friday, June 5, 2015

Significant Song Number 10

"Baker Street" by Gerry Rafferty

   By the mid-1970s I had stopped writing poetry. I was either in graduate school and then seminary, so I was writing to satisfy requirements or make my mark as an academic. I did enjoy myself, however, lest anyone think there was never any time for fun. After all, this was the era of the Steel Curtain in the NFL, and when I first visited the UK.

   Stealers Wheel I certainly knew and liked, so when I heard "Baker Street" by Rafferty (one-half of the Wheel), I was receptive. What drew me in deeper were the lyrics and the sense that one was in the process of simplifying one's life. Finding a quiet little town was appealing to me then.  certainly heard the song in pubs and I went from London to Aberdeen and the West Country. When I wrote the rough draft of my novel (located in a box in the attic a few feet away from where I sit now), I entitled it "A Quiet Little Town". 

   Yes, there it sits. Perhaps one day I will rework it, perhaps boil it down into a few short stories, perhaps do nothing at all. However, writing it kept me somewhat sharp, and I suppose was a necessary portion of my writing career.

   Why th elong hiatus between Significant Songs? Places and Times has kept me busy, but that is all right. Enjoy the song from the late Gerry Rafferty:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-Yi762sQTo

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Epiphanies" from Alien Buddha Press- Available on Amazon- Read a story here

https://alienbuddhapress.wordpress.com/author/alienbuddhapress/       I am so thrilled about this short story collection,, my first one. Ali...