Saturday, June 27, 2015

A poem in Hungarian by a new friend on Soundcloud


     B. Daniel posted his poem, Menedékem/Sanctuary, (the English is also given). What amazed me about it, outside of the fact that it is a great poem, is that the language sounds lyrical. My Grandmother Turfa, rest her soul, was aghast that my brother and I would not going to be taught the language. We are half-Magyar, so my parents figured there was no need. It would have been nice to learn some of it, but she wanted us to be as immersed in the language and culture as one could have been while living in the USA. Her  three children were, and none of them enjoyed it, although they were proud of their heritage.


    I mentioned this poem and my reaction to the sound of the language to my wife. I told her what I heard in Hungarian was usually louder and more dramatic. She said, "Thant's your family!"

Here is the poem in both languages, and the link to the recording. Thanks/Köszönöm!

    
magyar)                                                 (~english)
                                                                                                                                                                                            
Menedekben                                          In Sanctuary
Leszereltem                                           I disarmed
Fegyveremet,                                         My weapon,
Elmem retteg…                                     My mind is scared…

Elnezesed                                             -Excuse me,
felszeg kerem,                                      I ask it awkwardly,
ezt veletlen                                            by mistake
elvetettem!                                            I missed this!
Meg egyszer                                        Once more-

Menedekben                                         In Sanctuary
Leszereltem                                          I disarmed
Fegyveremet,                                        My weapon,
Leheveredtem.                                      I lied down.

Elmerengtem                                        I was lost in reveries of
Eredeten,                                               Origin,
Szereteten,                                            Love,
Szenvedelyen,                                       Passion,
Elfeledett                                               Forgotten
Emlekeken.                                            Memories.
                                                                                                                            
Elmeselem,                                          I tell you the tale,
Ejjeleken                                               In nights
Ej kek egen                                           In night-blue sky
Vegtelenbe                                           To the Infinity
Ket szemedbe                                     Through your two eyes,
Beled lestem,                                       I peep in,
Nem remelve                                       Not hoping to,
Fenyt kerestem,                                  I searched for light,
S Lelked leltem,                                  And your soul was found.

Keptelen, de                                       Absurd, but
Elkepedve                                           Astounded
Beleestem,                                         I fell in love with her,
Megszerettem,                                  I conceived an affection,
Beket leltem,                                      I found peace,

S kepzeletben                                   And in imagination
Eltevedve,                                          I have lost my way,
Megvesz lelkem,                              My soul is excessively fond of,
De megertem,                                   But I understand,
El mer vesztem.                                Why I lose her.

Vedelmemre,                                  -For my defense,
nem sejthettem                               I could not suspect,
megszeretlek,                                  I take fancy to you,
s eleneklem,                                     and I sing,
Meg, szeretlek!                               Meg, I love you!-

Szegyenemre,                                  Shame on me,
Tehetetlen                                        Unable to deal with
Elengedem,                                      I let her go,
Eleresztem                                       I lose hold of,
Elvesztettem.                                   I lost her.

Elveszetten                                       As lost
El nem rejtem,                                  I do not hide it,
Nezzetek el,                                     Turn a blind eye on it,
Lelkem gyenge                                My soul is weak
E percekben.                                    In these minutes.

Leplezetlen                                     Unconcealed
Szerelmemet                                   Of my love
Lehetetlen                                       It's impossible
Levedlenem,                                  To me to get it off,

S                                                       And

Hiteltelen                                       Without interest is
Hiedelmem                                    My belief,  
Hite vesztve                                   Shorn of faith
Hitegetem.                                     I dupe in fine words.

Hihetetlen.                                     Unbelievable.

(C) Daniel B 2014  




https://soundcloud.com/b-daniel/menedekem_sanctuary

No comments:

Post a Comment

"Epiphanies" from Alien Buddha Press- Available on Amazon- Read a story here

https://alienbuddhapress.wordpress.com/author/alienbuddhapress/       I am so thrilled about this short story collection,, my first one. Ali...