Thursday, September 19, 2024

J.D. Souther, RIP Singer-songwriter

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/jd-souther-best-songs-eagles-linda-ronstadt-1235105243/don-henley-the-heart-of-the-matter-1989-1235105467/



     John David Souther may not be known to most music fans, but the songs he wrote or collaborated in writing are familiar. The above link has a dozen of the most familiar. If some musicologist has not written a book or dissertation on LA singer-songwriters, when it happens Souther will play a prominent role, along with Jackson Browne, various members of the Eagles, and others.

    If my guitar playing had reached a much higher level than it did, I would have loved to have written songs. My singing voice would only have worked for a very few of them, but I would have loved to have written the words and music. Actually, I am fine being a poet-writer. 

     Souther was invited to join the Eagles but decided the band was excellent as it was. His peers respected his talent, and he constantly worked. I suspect he realized that his true talent was in composition, not being a rock star. Later on, he had some acting roles as well, such as in the TV series Nashville. 

   Another musical giant has left the house, but the music remains. Enjot!

   

   

1 comment:

  1. End of the innocence was my muse for an art show in my youth, such a powerful song. And heart of the matter, still.stands as one that touches my heart every time.

    ReplyDelete

J.D. Souther, RIP Singer-songwriter

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/jd-souther-best-songs-eagles-linda-ronstadt-1235105243/don-henley-the-heart-of-the-matter-198...