Saturday, November 26, 2022

On the South Carolina Teacher Shortage: Part 2

https://www.blogger.com/blog/post/edit/5838501516653729241/4863123170199111841# 


     When COVID hit, I was an adjunct at a local two-year technical college ( that's what a junior college or community college is called in these parts). We went virtual and got through the second half of the semester reasonably well.

     In /August 2020 I offered to return to my old school district and contacted two others nearby to see if they needed an experienced teacher.  For the records, I have 25 years of experience and am HQ- Highly Qualified- in English, German, and Social Studies. 

     My old district proved hard to contact. I finally got to the person handling personnel, but I never heard back. From the other two, nothing at all. In August 2021 my old district contacted me. I was willing, but nothing face-to-face, no parents, no meetings. The person who contacted me, a friend in fact, said she would be in touch, Nothing, I sent more e-mails, left more phone messages,, then stopped. A few retired friends had similar experiences.

     Why did I say no face-to-face, parents, or meetings? I live in an area where the pandemic was worsened by people who listened to FOX News and a former president than reason. I was not risking my health. Too many parents act as advocates for their children. and undermine teachers. And the meetings! Created by mid-level staff to justify their positions. Been there, done that.

     What would I say if I were called again? I would say they had their chance. Now is the time for my family, myself, my writing, and so forth.

Links to my books:

https://www.amazon.com/Arthur-Turfa/e/B00YJ9LNOA%3Fref=dbs_a_mng_rwt_scns_share

https://www.blurb.com/b/10799783-the-botleys-of-beaumont-county

    

No comments:

Post a Comment

Stop the Presses! Sadly....

        A sad week in our household. For the first time in over forty years, my wife and I do not have a newspaper to hold in our hands. She...