Tuesday, March 9, 2021

I Usually Do not Post about Education Here, but....

     ....this time is an exception. 

     The following link does not directly apply to me. However, if I had been teaching full-time when the pandemic broke out, I would have resigned. I am over 65 years of age, and at-risk. Although I was in a good school and in a good school district, I still would have resigned and started to draw my pension.

     Why?

     Not everyone believed the pandemic was real at first. I live in South Carolina, the reddest of the red states. There was talk that the whole thing was political, that it was only hyped to make then-President Trump look bad, that it would go away by the November elections, and so on. Hardly things that implied confidence.

     In my school, many students refused to wear their IDs, as faculty/staff had to. Would students be compliant with safety procedures? AHmmm. All it takes was one to infect you.

     The two-year tech college where I teach immediately went to distance-learning, and allowed me to continue doing so. They did the right thing in every way. 

     And now, some K-12 teachers are in trouble.....https://www.thestate.com/news/coronavirus/article249487270.html

    There are no teacher unions here. Remember, this is a RED state. The teacher associations are not effective. I left one that did not tell me I had to formally leave after I retired. They fussed over me when I retired, so they knew! When I joined the retired group (six months later after my successful hip surgery), they said I did not

   Good luck, teachers@ 

    


     


No comments:

Post a Comment

Stop the Presses! Sadly....

        A sad week in our household. For the first time in over forty years, my wife and I do not have a newspaper to hold in our hands. She...