Sunday, November 15, 2020

U of South Carolina Might Cut Adjuncts due to COVID

https://www.thestate.com/news/local/education/article247169831.html


     Today's post is from the world of education. Normally I do to post much here; I usually tweet or put on Facebook. USC (the original, which is in Columbia, SC, and in several locations scattered through the Palmetto State) is a good school. The Darla Moore School of International Business ranks as the best in the nation. Many of my former students have gone or are attending there now. A few friends are faculty in various departments.

    My adjunct career began in Pennsylvania, where I taught History at two community colleges and Religion/Ethics at a four-year college that later became a university. Fortunately, I was employed as a full-time high school teacher at the time, in addition to being in the National Guard or Army Reserve, and serving a Lutheran parish part-time under call or filling in as needed.

     When I came to South Carolina, I continued my adjunct career at a local two-year technical college, this time mostly teaching English. Teaching at a four-year school did not happen, although there were a few glimmers of hope. The Great Recession of 2007/08 played a role in that. I taught high school full time, eventually retired from the Lutheran Church (still filling in as needed), and retired from the US Army Reserve Component, eventually receiving a pension.

     Some adjunct colleagues only have a tenuous existence in that their sole source of income comes from teaching what classes they can. Midlands Tech, where I teach, is very supportive and like most schools in the US, needs adjuncts. Around three-quarters of all college classes nationwide are taught by adjuncts. 

    Full-time faculty members at USC do not want to have to teach more or to teach introductory classes. Class size may be higher, and so will stress for all concerned. I hope that USC can cut some things in the budget to come up with the money they need to keep adjuncts. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

"Epiphanies" from Alien Buddha Press- Available on Amazon- Read a story here

https://alienbuddhapress.wordpress.com/author/alienbuddhapress/       I am so thrilled about this short story collection,, my first one. Ali...