Wednesday, October 21, 2020

Interview on Times Radio about a Memorable Professor

https://t.co/eTBkx018ZB?amp=1


     Above is the obituary for Dr. Ruth Klüger whom I had as a professor in the German Department of UC-Irvine in the mid-1970s. She was a dynamic, exciting teacher  When I was having some difficulties with my doctoral studies, she offered me a fantastic topic and offered to serve as my adviser. That would have all but assured me of the academic career I wanted.

     However, those same difficulties had led me to consider other options. When she made me the offer, I told her I was going to attend a Lutheran seminary in St. Louis. "Sie strahlen," she said to me. "You are beaming!" I was overwhelmed by the joy this Jewish Holocaust survivor had for this Lutheran. 

     I never regretted my decision, which has led me to so many wonderful people, places, and things. In March 2005 I was winding up my deployment in Germany with the US Army. Watching television one night, I believe the ARD, there was a documentary about a Holocaust survivor visiting her old neighborhood in Vienna. I knew her as Ruth Angress, but she had resumed using her original surname, Klüger. The next day I e-mailed her, and we exchanged a few e-mails. It was good to catch up with each other.

    I tweeted her obituary on the weekend. On Monday I was asked by Times Radio, UK, if they could interview me. I was- still am- honored. Here is a link to the interview, which begins around 50 minutes into the program.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/radio/show/20201021-1579/2020-10-21

    


No comments:

Post a Comment

"Epiphanies" from Alien Buddha Press- Available on Amazon- Read a story here

https://alienbuddhapress.wordpress.com/author/alienbuddhapress/       I am so thrilled about this short story collection,, my first one. Ali...