Saturday, August 8, 2020

Poetry Optional? Not in the UK, and May that not be Exported!

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2020/aug/08/simon-armitage-poetry-gcse?fbclid=IwAR30AhtfePsVLiwqaimsC7earyXJwNL4SdjH-QLvYydZoj7PyurUe8Qba6A

While I hope and pray this will not cross the Atlantic, can't be sure. The study of Literature has been assaulted from many sides. Rhetoric has replaced Literature in some curricula, some people equate reading a magazine or catalog with Literature, and still others dumb down the curriculum with easy-to-read things.
I hasten to add that I do NOT believe that the canon must never be changed. Every age and place produce great literature. find it, read it, and enjoy it!

For now, I join Sir Ray Davies: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFG-buhIDEA

2 comments:

  1. Yikes! I'm not a poet, but I can't imagine not having the exposure in school. I still can recite many of the poems I learned in grade school, and of the books I wanted to have after my mother passed, the most important to me was one of her books of poetry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for reading and commenting, Barbara! I remember some of the great songwriters who were also poets: Dylan, Ray Davies, etc. And the ballads from the folk movement to include Fairport Convention and steeleye Span. That got me interested. Poetry is not a luxury or somethign that can be ignored. As you know, good writers fo prose can wax poetic.

    ReplyDelete

"Epiphanies" from Alien Buddha Press- Available on Amazon- Read a story here

https://alienbuddhapress.wordpress.com/author/alienbuddhapress/       I am so thrilled about this short story collection,, my first one. Ali...