Wednesday, April 22, 2020

Great David Brooks Column on "Coddling"

https://www.post-gazette.com/opinion/Op-Ed/2020/04/20/David-Brooks-The-age-of-coddling-Is-over/stories/202004200015


    I tweeted about this. Years ago I taught a lot of pre-med students at the University of California-Irvine, and I saw how competitive medical school admission was.

     When I spoke with a student who was slacking in a high school class, usually my German III Honors, or a lower-level class, I asked what they planned to do in college. Most of the time I heard they intended to go to medical or pharmacological school.

     Then I told them that a passing grade in medical school was a 85. Their jaws would drop. I added that in medicine there was often no time to consult someone or to look up information. One simply had to know.

    That carries over to other fields of study, and in life overall, as well. Attorneys have to knew precedents. People who speak another language have to know the language.

    I am reading that Atlantic article Brooks mentioned. I hope I will not become disgusted and need medical assistance, especially with COVID-19 afflicting us!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Stop the Presses! Sadly....

        A sad week in our household. For the first time in over forty years, my wife and I do not have a newspaper to hold in our hands. She...